3M Half Marathon training: Week 5

Last week was a pretty solid training week, which if course means that I’m due for a not-so-solid week this week.  And that’s assuming I even run at all!

Monday, 11/24: 3.5 miles on the elliptical and my first strength work in weeks.  It probably wasn’t the smartest idea to re-commit myself to strength work 3 days before a race– hello DOMS!.

Tuesday, 11/25: 7 x 400m @ 5K pace  6 x 400m @ 5K pace because counting is hard. Other than that, this went pretty well, though I’d learn on Thursday that 7:00 min/mile for a 5K? Tis but a dream.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 6.22.52 AM

Wednesday, 11/26: 3 miles easy on the track (9:48 pace)

Thursday, 11/27: Total of 4 miles, including the Cedar Park Turkey Day 5K in 22:50

Friday, 11/28: 3.58 miles on the elliptical + strength work.

Saturday, 11/29: 5.06 miles easy around my neighborhood (9:19 pace).  I also spent the rest of Saturday having a Me Day.  I got a much-needed haircut in the morning and then took my fabulously coiffed self on a date to see Mockingjay: Part 1 in the afternoon as the only other person I know who is into The Hunger Games was vacationing in Australia, poor thing.  But I had a big bowl of popcorn all to myself and only felt slightly awkward.  I think Catching Fire is still my favorite Hunger Games movie thus far but I have to give credit to Mockingjay: Part 1 for being much more action packed and suspenseful than the first half of the novel.

Sunday, 11/30: My big bowl of popcorn was #fuel for 10.07 miles on Sunday morning.  I was actually quite nervous before this run.  I didn’t know if I had the endurance for double digits and I was worried I’d forgotten how to fuel for 90+ minute long runs.  I ended up having my usual coffee and a Clif bar, which was a bit of a departure from my typical pre-long run or race banana and peanut butter toast.  Thankfully, the Clif bar also had the desired effect of preventing hunger without stomach issues.  I brought some water and a salted caramel Gu, which I didn’t really need but used at the halfway point anyway since I figured I may as well get my stomach used to gels again.  (Good God, I forgot how sweet these things are!)

In the interest of focusing purely on endurance, I didn’t look at my Garmin once during this run and just tried to keep an easy, comfortable pace.  I ran this on an out and back route which was about 50% road and 50% trail.  There were some sizable hills towards the end, which is different from my typical runs around the neighborhood or on the track.  The good news is that the hills didn’t kill me and I felt like I still had the energy for a few more miles when I got back home.  Yay pacing!





This brought me to a total of 25.65 miles running , plus 7.08 miles on the elliptical.  26 miles doesn’t seem like very much (per DailyMile I was at 40 miles/week at this time last year) but I think it’s a good amount considering it included a decent race effort and double digit long run.

And then everything sort of fell apart again.

On Sunday I had a sore throat in the morning, which I’d assumed was due to allergies like 99% of my bodily ailments.  In the early evening I started to feel a little achey but I figured that was related to running 10 miles for the first time since April.  On a whim, I took my temperature with the fancy aural thermometer we bought a few weeks ago when the Gentleman was sick…and it was 100.3.  A sore throat and low grade fever are certainly not life threatening but I was freaking out because I was set to fly to Fort Lauderdale for work on Tuesday, and flying with strep or the flu is probably ill-advised at best.  So I ended up at an urgent care clinic on Sunday night where I tested negative for strep and the flu but positive for “some sort of virus, don’t worry, it’s not Ebola” and got the OK to fly on Tuesday.  I was hoping I could get some sort of antibiotics and knock it out of my system before Tuesday but the only prescription I got was tramadol to help with the throat pain and body aches.  I stayed home on Monday with the hope that rest and tramadol would help me feel better.  However I took one 50 mg tramadol and spent the rest of the day alternating between 30 minutes of reading/checking email and 30 minutes of feeling like I was going to doze off but never actually falling asleep.  I also felt super nauseated for over 24 hours.

Tramadol: never again.

Anyway, I made it into work on Tuesday morning and then to the airport and Fort Lauderdale in the afternoon.  I don’t have a fever anymore but I’m definitely not 100%, so running this week hasn’t happened yet.  I may attempt something tomorrow morning but I also have a policy of not forcing myself to run if I will just feel awful and possibly prolong an illness.  I am at a conference today and tomorrow and then I’m staying with my brother who lives 5 minutes away until Saturday (which is one of the reasons I was so dead set on doing this trip, even when my supervisor looked at me yesterday and said “You know, you don’t have to go…”).  I don’t want a cough and some sniffling to get in the way of Sibling Shenanigans 2014!

This entry was posted in Cross Training, Health, Life, Running, Strength Training, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s