3M Half Marathon training: Week 1

There are a lot of things I’m not really qualified to talk about when it comes to running.

I don’t know anything about running a marathon two months after having a baby. (In fact, I can’t give advice on either of those areas since I’ve yet to run a full marathon or give birth, let alone do them in quick succession).

I’m also probably not qualified to give advice on good nutrition for runners since my dinners over the weekend consisted of a cheeseburger and barbecue.

But I do know a good amount about trying to stay active and train while working pretty crazy hours.  This is not the first time I’ve had to work 12 hour days and weekends while training for a race.  Back in January/February when I was training for the 3M Half Marathon and Austin Half Marathon I was at the office every day for something like 6 weeks straight.  I think there was one week when I worked 4:30 AM-1:30 PM on a Saturday and Sunday followed by a few week nights of working 8:30 PM-12:30 AM.  Getting enough sleep was a big challenge, and running had to happen whenever there was time, which was a struggle for a typically early riser who makes a beeline for the couch at the end of the work day.

I know there are a lot of people out there who work longer and more erratic hours than I do.  And I should also say that I’m getting comp time for a lot of my extra time at work, so it’s really not so bad.  Hopefully in a few months I will be able to write a blog post about how to find time to run when you are on a long vacation in a nice climate.  But I mention all of this because the extra time at the office– plus the fact that I only have a little over a month of actual running under my belt following a stress fracture– is going to shape how I train for this race in January.  I’m using a few different training plans (here, here, and here) for workout ideas and to make sure I don’t ramp up the mileage too quickly…not that there’s much chance of that with the way my work schedule is going.

Monday, 10/27: What better way to start half marathon training than with a rest day?  In my defense, I had to work from 7-7, so a rest day just made sense.

Tuesday, 10/28: Insomnia got me out of bed super early, so I managed to get in 4 easy miles before another 12 hour day at the office.

Wednesday, 10/29: A regular 8 hour workday and my first real track workout in months: 4 x 800m @ 5 seconds faster than 5K pace  10K pace, which felt plenty hard.

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 9.22.49 AM

 

Thursday, 10/30: 5 easy miles before work turned into 2 awful miles before work.  I think a combination of back pain, indigestion, and sleep deprivation did me in.  Sometimes there are days when I don’t want to run.  On 95% of those days I will start to feel better after I start running.  This was one of the other 5% of runs.

Friday, 10/31: 3.7 miles on the elliptical at the gym.  Thought about doing some strength training.  Abandoned that thought in favor of heading home in time to make waffles.

Saturday, 11/1: 5 easy miles before 12 hours at the office (yes, on a Saturday).  This actually felt surprisingly good.  I think it was a combination of the cooler temperature (high 40s) and something approaching an adequate amount of sleep.

Sunday, 11/1: 6.1 miles on the trail downtown, which unintentionally turned into a bit of a progression run (9:11, 9:03, 8:43, 8:46, 8:31, 8:16).  While I’m pleased to be hitting sub-9:00 paces without too much effort again, I need to continue to make an effort to keep easy runs easy.

Total: 21.2 miles running, 3.7 miles elliptical

It’s about half of what I was doing mileage wise at this time last year but hey, the important thing is that my body feels good and I haven’t had any pain aside from some mild muscle soreness now and then. I’m hoping to hit around 25 miles this week, though I’m going to have to improvise a bit because I’ll be in San Diego for work Wednesday-Saturday. My first time in California!

If you made it to the end of this post, congratulations.  Here is a relevant gif:

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Life, Running and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to 3M Half Marathon training: Week 1

  1. Martha B says:

    I think we are going to be very good friends.
    Erratic schedules? Check.
    Not having babies? Check.
    Running through the madness…
    Parallel lives, I’m thinking.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s